Replication of pattern/Pattern matching
Activity Id :3
Activity Name :Replicating the pattern
Benefits: Fine motor development, Logical Reasoning
Required age: After 3 years (Or based on child’s interest)
Material needed: Paper, pen , various colored materials (Dominos, button nails or anything available at home)
- Draw a pattern (Here I drew a square with 4 blocks)Top one is mine and bottom she did.
- Place the dominos(any colored objects) on all the blocks.
- Ask the kid to replicate /copy/match the pattern as ours.
- Let the kid do it on another set of the pattern drawn next to it.
- Start with basic or simple pattern for not to overwhelm the kid at first.
- This is using button nails.
- I drew different shapes so it will be little interesting for her to do .
After getting experienced, slowly introduce difficult ones.
Always start with some materials (physical objects instead of worksheets )
- Made this dominos replication without using any paper.
- Arrange the dominos in some pattern and ask the kid to replicate the same
- My daughter got bored after the fourth pattern, and she made some different patterns on her own after that.
- After doing with real objects, we can introduce coloring patterns.
- Draw some patterns and color it.
- Ask the kid to replicate the same .
- This is not a one time or one day activity.
- Continue doing it whenever possible. So , kids can get the complete concept behind it.